Snickerdoodle Cheesecake Squares

Notice something different?

Snickerdoodle Cheesecake Squares - Mrs. Penguin

I’m very excited over my recent purchase of a crate, because the bottom of the crate is perfect for food photos. Don’t worry, my pale-greenish-turquoise boards aren’t gone forever. They just went back to being shelves. And they hold a number of food props and recipe books and a cookie jar. Did you know they were shelves? This bottom of this crate though, it’s amazing. I get so inspired by all the dark and moody food photos and food blogs I see on the internet, and I just wanted to try it for myself. I wouldn’t call these photos dark or moody. But it’s a nice change. Feels profesh.

[Read more...]

Gooey Butter Cake

Today, I present to you: a St. Louis classic.

Gooey Butter Cake - Mrs. Penguin

I’ve lived in the St. Louis area for a couple of years now, and I can honestly say, I have never attempted to make it myself. Mostly because 90% of recipes you find on the internet call for a yellow box cake mix, and the other 10% call for a yeasted raised crust? So I think I did a pretty good job of doing neither but still coming out with a really classic and fantastic gooey butter cake.

[Read more...]

Chocolate Buttermilk Pancakes

I’m really excited to share this super awesome breakfast.

Chocolate Buttermilk Pancakes - Mrs. Penguin

These chocolate buttermilk pancakes are exactly what you’d expect. They are super chocolatey, fluffy, and tangy from the buttermilk. Basically, they’re delicious. Pancakes are a staple in my breakfast routine. At least every other weekend (when I’m not eating muffins), I’m making pancakes. I’m definitely a pancake person. I much prefer pancakes over waffles. Waffles are like a special occasion brunch option.

[Read more...]

Blueberry Bundt Cake

This cake is really classic.

Blueberry Bundt Cake - Mrs. Penguin

Yeah, more cake. I’m exploring all of the different types of cake. This happens to be a bundt cake. Bundt cake to me always seems so classic or vintage. I usually find myself making this cake during the summer months, I wanted to share a little summery cheer already. I’m not a fan of cold weather, snow, or scraping ice off my car. I am a fan of wearing cardigans and hoodies. So in my eyes the bad outweighs the good.

[Read more...]

Chocolate and Nutella Pudding Cakes

Cake, cake, and more cake.

Chocolate and Nutella Pudding Cakes - Mrs. Penguin

This whole weekend I was surrounded by cake. I’m not complaining, I just wanted you to know, my life = cake. I made a wedding cake, the same recipe as the peanut butter and chocolate cake. I don’t think I’ll ever make another wedding cake in my tiny kitchen ever again. I seriously had no room to do anything and I also lack a lot of equipment that people normally use to make wedding cakes. Like a turntable would’ve been really helpful. If I ever have to make another fancy cake, I’m going to buy out the Michael’s cake-decorating section.

[Read more...]